Home Health Hurricane Preparation
Hurricane season brings with it a heightened level anxiety and fear. Regardless of an individual’s age, when someone mentions the word hurricane, it can send chills down the spine of even the most seasoned Floridian.
Our senior population challenged with chronic diseases, must always be prepared and have an emergency plan prearranged. Those seniors receiving home healthcare are particularly vulnerable, and to help offset some of the fear and anxiety, Doctor’s Choice Home Care has prepared a list below:
- Knowing the community evacuation plan
- Identify the hurricane shelters in your area and contact emergency management with your information.
- Are your transportation needs ready?
- Have an emergency contact list
- A copy of family records and important documents
- If you have a pet, ensure you have a plan for our furry family member
- Are you on oxygen, nebulizer, CPAP/BIPAP?
- Do you have cash (large and small bills)?
- Small scissors for opening difficult items
- Water bottles
- Nonperishable food e.g. meal replacement bars or powder
- Medications and medication list
- Physician information
- Two sets of extra cloths
- Test strips
- Cold pack/s for insulin storage
Be safe and don't take any chances!